Sunday, April 11, 2004

"GO FORTH TO PARADISE" - DAVID SCHALL, RIP

One year ago today, my boss, friend and colleague, David Schall died suddenly of a massive heart attack. Jan Batchler has beautifully summarized here what David meant to the organized Christian community in Hollywood.

I was with David at 4:30pm that afternoon. He had stopped by my office to tell me that he had decided to take a sabbatical starting in the Fall. He said, "I feel like I have done what God wanted me to do. I need to take some time to figure out what He wants me to do next." On the way out of my office he stopped and said, "I don't say enough how proud I am of everything you have done with Act One....And, by the way, I love that color blouse on you." It was so wonderfully David. An hour and a half later, he was in eternity.

I can't believe it has been a year since David walked out of my office that afternoon. So many days I walk up the stairs to my office and catch myself thinking, "Have to tell David about that."

That's the thing I miss the most. Having David's unconditional support and affirmation one office away. Because of his faithfulness to his vocation, David shares in the good done through every work of love, sacrifice and beauty that comes from the Act One community.

"Good and faithful servant. Come, share your Master's joy."

No comments: