Thursday, September 09, 2004

I'M READING ABOUT HELEN KELLER AGAIN

Not sure why, but she has always been one of my fascinations. Actually, I find Anne Sullivan Macy and the relationship between the two women the main fascination. I find it extraordinary how Anne Sullivan, a young women barely out of her teens, was able to intuit a pedagogical method that most teachers would probably take a lifetime to put together.

A decade or so after her initial breakthroughs with Helen, Annie sent her insights on the matter to Alexander Graham Bell. She is specifically speaking of imparting language skills here, but I think her ideas are applicable on many other levels even beyond the classroom.

"Thank heaven, I didn't have to follow a curriculum when I began teaching Helen. I am convinced she wouldn't have learned language as easily as she did. It seems to me, it is made as difficlut as possible for a child to learn anything.

Helen learned language almost unconsciously. [In schools today] it is made 'a lesson.' The child sits indoors, and for an hour the teacher endeavors more or less skilfully to engrave words upon his brain.

As I look back, it seems as if Helen were always on the jump when I was teaching her. We were generally in the open air doing something. Words were learned as they were needed. She rarely forgot a word that was given her when the action called it forth, and she learned a phrase or even a sentence as readily as a single word when it was needed to describe an action.

Children learn language more quickly when they are free to move about objects that interest them. They absorb words and knowledge simultaneously. In the classroom, they cease to be actors in the drama. They sit and watch the teacher, which does not excite their curiosity particularly. Passivity does not stimulate interest or mental energy. The child learns eagerly what he wants to know, and indifferently what you want him to know.

...Young children need more out-of-door lessons - lessons about living things - trees and flowers and animals - things they love and are curious about. The number of subjects taught is not so important as that children should learn language for the joy of it. The miracle of education is achieved when this happens.


My sister teaches on a university level and frequently shrugs, "You can lead a man to a university, but you can't make him think." We experience the same challenge with our Act One students. We offer them a wide panoply of classes, but unless a student can see how a particular class might serve him or her "right now", they don't really get engaged. Too often, I find myself looking into glazed expressions while I plead, "Please trust us, this is very crucial stuff." Considering Anne Sullivan's words, I think the problem is that information is only "crucial" when someone is searching for it, as the resolution to a personal problem. You can't force that "problem mode" on students.

Beyond the classroom, though, how do people learn anything? I mean beyond the sheer memorization of facts here. How do people internalize something and make it part of their belief system/presuppositions? It's because they are searching, aware of a need and a void.

This is what I find in teaching RCIA, anyway. You have to let the students tell you what they want to learn, to some extent. You lay out a lesson, and then try and guage which part of it tips off an unanswered question inside of them. This invariably means you don't cover your whole curriculum, but the mustard seed they end up getting will have saving power.

15 comments:

alicia said...

I teach a lot as part of my daily life. I love teaching especially adults who are listening to me because they want to learn what I have to teach. There is a profound difference between pedagogy (teaching children) and androgogy (teaching adults), and that usually has to do with the motivations and interests of the learner. Most adult learners have very clear ideas of what they want and need to learn, and will tune out or no-show if it becomes all about what the teacher wants to teach.
We don't all learn things the same way, and a wise teacher tries to use various media to get the message across. Tightly written curricula and syllabi are often the enemy of true teaching/learning. Objectives are useful as guidelines, but too much of modern 'education' is simply learning by objectives, aka 'teaching to the test'.
I would be interested in how your would structure RCIA and other christian adult ed if you were in charge of the program. I would personally like to gut and rebuild the CCD and confirmation programs in most parishes to take advantage of the insights of Catholic scholar and educator Maria Montessori and others.

regina doman said...

That is so true. I feel like I learned more the older I got because I knew what it was I wanted to learn. Like, at the Act One classes I sat in on, I took lots of notes because it was so appropos (appropo?) to what I was actually trying to figure out on my own.

I think the biggest part of teaching in the traditional method is how to make people search.

Alicia's right - the Montessori paradigmn is much less frustrating in many ways. But I don't know that it's useful for adults.

Anonymous said...

my wife and I are thinking of taking a vacation. A friend told me about renting a condo from www.xamanhacondo.com. I was wondering if any of you have had good and positive experiences with this?

Thank-you sincerely

Anonymous said...

hey came looking for adult adult dating dating dating dating personals personals personals personals site sites.info

i found another blog about it nice ! adult adult dating dating dating dating personals personals personals personals site sites.info are a great way to find someone!
Maybe you should think about adding more adult adult dating dating dating dating personals personals personals personals site sites.info related topics on your site.

heres another related site about adult adult dating dating dating dating personals personals personals personals site sites.info

Anonymous said...

the best place to find adult swinger personals in my opinion is adult swinger personals

You can find lots of stuff adult swinger personals related just click

adult swinger personals

Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!

Anonymous said...

I like to look at artistic photos of people, especially at their smiling faces. If you have some free time go to http://top-personals.net for local personals and rate pictures of singles from your neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

Hi All! Like your site. found it surfing for my favorite topic!! Keep sharing!
All the best,Astrology Horoscopes

Anonymous said...

How Ya doing Hope your having a good day. Your blog is most interesting. I was looking for dating online related stuff when i came across it. thanks for the read. I have a site that may interest you come and visit sometime, dating onlinethanks again.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Loved all the free online adult movie. Keep up the good work and I shall return.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Loved all the free black adult movie. Keep up the good work and I shall return.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. I love all the free adult movie preview. I will definately be back again... and again and again.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. I love all the free adult movie site. I will definately be back again... and again and again.

Anonymous said...

Great site. Close to what I was searching for about free adult movie gallery. keep up the good work and I will return again.

Anonymous said...

Great site. Close to what I was searching for about free amateur adult movie. keep up the good work and I will return again.