Sunday, July 10, 2005

Whatever Four

Maybe I've just seen one too many comic book movies. Or maybe, at 41, I slipped over the perimeter in which "heroes in tights" can still trip my trigger. Or maybe, FOX's new fantastical budget comic book project is just a mediocre movie despite its cool CGI and high level production values.

I suppose if I could make myself give the movie's problems a bit of thought, I would say that there was too much backstory and plot points awkwardly stuffed into the first act in the piece. The result was the movie was very episodic, in a mad rush to get out a lot of information, very little of which added anything to my engagement with the main characters.

The movie was very badly miscast. The villain ended up being the most engaging character. I never cared about any of the heroes. Maybe if they had named them the "Earnest Four" or the "Trying Really Hard to Be Huge Stars Four"...? Most egregious was the casting of the wide-eyed buxom blond babe as an eminent world shatteringly brilliant DNA research scientist. Yeah, I'm so buying that.

As with too many studio blockbusters, Fantastic Four has lots to look at but not much to see. The movie gave a few cursory nods to the effort to be about something. But the efforts all got dashed on places like the Extreme Dirt Bike Ramp which had no business being in the movie except that kids like that stuff these days. Unpardonably, it wasn't fun enough for a comic book movie. I never felt a rush moment like I did when watching Spiderman swing through the city in that top comic franchise.

The only rush I got in the movie was seeing friend Ralph's cameo in the last scene. Fun.

There's nothing problematic in the film from a moral standpoint. Unless spending $8 or more on a comic movie that doesn't give you a rush is a moral problem for you. It kind of is for me.

Fantastic Four is what it is. Not a four. More two-ish.

18 comments:

Jeff Miller said...

I don't think it is "one more superhero comic book movie" syndrome. More like just another crappy move syndrome.

Steven D. Greydanus at decentfilms.com gave it a D- and also thought there was some morally problematic content.

http://www.decentfilms.com/reviews/fantasticfour2005.html

jon said...

We are trying to find good free movie download site to take the kids this weekend. Good free movie download site reviews are hard to find

I just stumbled onto your blog while looking. Seems to happen to me a lot since I am a knowledge mooch LOL

Thanks

Anonymous said...

You have a great blog here! I will be sure to book mark you. I have a black book site. It pretty much covers black book related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

Weedy said...

I love your information on Franchise I bookmarked your blog and will be back soon. If you want, check out my blog on Franchise Exposed - please come by

Anonymous said...

Consider the power of being able to create incoming links to your site any time you want them...

Anonymous said...

nice blog enjoyed it :)

Keep up the excellent work! and i bookmarked u!

so cant wait for ur next post! :)

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Advertising can be a big problem otherwise. A lot of companies reserve a big chunk of their budgets to cover marketing expenditures.

Jake said...

underwater lol

THFGPXUI said...

I read your blog and it was really cool, here please check out mine

I have a PSP Games site/blog. It pretty much covers PSP Games related stuff.

Anonymous said...

MOVIES,HBO and SHOW TIME: Hey Guys, I found a cool site that Saves me a bunch on Premium Movie Channels. Beats My Cable Hands Down, and it's ALL DIGITAL. Check this site out .**Movies**

zuke said...

Hi, I think you have a great blog, keep up the good work. If you get a chance please visit mine ipod movie, its about ipod movie,related stuff. Thanks!

download music for free said...

Hey!, Just browsing around for ideas for my new. (While we're at the same topic), I'm just getting started if you want to visit:
download music for free

Charles

Anonymous said...

Hi, I love comic books was looking for some good sites that talk about comic book superheroes when I came across your site. You have some cool content on your site and I enjoyed it very much. Keep up the great work!

CQNVXGJG said...

Hi, I think you have a great blog here, if you get a chance, check mine out. It's about music download music download. Let me know what you think

zuke said...

I just came across your blog and wanted todrop you a note telling you, Friend, how impressed I was with it.I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.If you have a moment, please visit my site: ipod movie unlimited

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your interesting posts about psp games. I think my blog could also provide your readers with something new. Please visit PSP Games, when you have time.

zuke said...

I was out surfing the blogs and found yours, It's nice to see some fresh content for a change. Have a good one download ipod movie video

CQNVXGJG said...

Hi, I think you have a great blog here, if you get a chance, check mine out. It's about malayalam movie download malayalam movie download. Let me know what you think